obstructive sleep apnea (osa)
SERVING GEORGETOWN, ROUND ROCK, AND AUSTIN, TEXAS
Posted: December 6, 2012
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep. The most noticeable sign of obstructive sleep apnea is snoring. Some other facts about sleep apnea:
- 20% of adults have OSA
- 90% of them are undiagnosed
- 50% of snorers have OSA
- 90% of LOUD snorers have OSA
- 10-12% of children population
- 40% are male
- 24% are female
- Obese people are 3x more likely to have OSA
- 80% of stroke victims have OSA
- 40% of people with OSA have diabetes
- You are twice as likely to die in your sleep with OSA
Signs and symptoms of OSA:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Morning headaches
- Dry mouth or throat in the morning
- Mood and memory problems
- Learning and behavioral problems in children including ADHD
Dr. Holley has trained our team to recognize signs and symptoms of OSA, therefore a thorough screening is conducted on all our patients.
We treats OSA when:
- We have a referral from Sleep Physician
- The patient has mild to moderate OSA, although we can treat severe if the patient is CPAP intolerant
- The patient travels often
- Patient needs co-therapy with CPAP
For the treatment of OSA, we provide an Intraoral Sleep Appliance-SomnoDent. It is worn during sleep to open the airway and allow oxygen to reach the body.
If you or your spouse have any of the signs or symptoms of OSA, call our office for a consultation……it could lead to a great night’s sleep!
What Our Patients Are Saying
Monica and Elizabeth made cleaning and x-RAYS tolerable. We laughed the whole time. Dr Mark was clear and concise. Everyone there has a great sense of humor. I hate going to the dentist but this trip was my best experience to date.
Friendly staff, exceptional patient care
The office is well-appointed, relaxing and the staff treat everyone like family. It's also nice to not feel 'judged' when my dental status is not textbook. Never had a dentist before that didn't give me the hairy eyeball over not flossing every day. I like their holistic approach to health, not just teeth.
Aesthetic Dentistry was professional and accommodating for a dental emergency I experienced. From Emily to Hannah to Dr Duncan I was extremely impressed with not only the customer service but the professionalism and the empathy for my work schedule. Their dental techniques are the best available providing a seamless and pain free experience. I HIGHLY recommend their practice!!
A++. Lovely people in this practice, true gentle dentistry and care. Would recommend anyone, especially someone who hasn't been to the dentist in a while and is nervous. Doctor personally calls his patients the evening of your appointment to follow up. 😎