obstructive sleep apnea (osa)
SERVING GEORGETOWN, ROUND ROCK, AND AUSTIN, TEXAS
Posted: December 6, 2012
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep. The most noticeable sign of obstructive sleep apnea is snoring. Some other facts about sleep apnea:
- 20% of adults have OSA
- 90% of them are undiagnosed
- 50% of snorers have OSA
- 90% of LOUD snorers have OSA
- 10-12% of children population
- 40% are male
- 24% are female
- Obese people are 3x more likely to have OSA
- 80% of stroke victims have OSA
- 40% of people with OSA have diabetes
- You are twice as likely to die in your sleep with OSA
Signs and symptoms of OSA:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Morning headaches
- Dry mouth or throat in the morning
- Mood and memory problems
- Learning and behavioral problems in children including ADHD
Dr. Holley has trained our team to recognize signs and symptoms of OSA, therefore a thorough screening is conducted on all our patients.
We treats OSA when:
- We have a referral from Sleep Physician
- The patient has mild to moderate OSA, although we can treat severe if the patient is CPAP intolerant
- The patient travels often
- Patient needs co-therapy with CPAP
For the treatment of OSA, we provide an Intraoral Sleep Appliance-SomnoDent. It is worn during sleep to open the airway and allow oxygen to reach the body.
If you or your spouse have any of the signs or symptoms of OSA, call our office for a consultation……it could lead to a great night’s sleep!
What Our Patients Are Saying
The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, the atmosphere in the office is relaxing and pleasant. Great choice!
Excellent experience. Super staff from entry to exit. Have already recommended them to a number of friends.
This office has a bunch of rock stars that are extremely dedicated to their profession and it shows!!!
I love Dr. Holley and Dr. Duncan and all of her wonderful staff. I have been with her for almost 20 years. I used to fear and dread going to the dentist. Then I found Dr. Holley and now I look forward to it!!!! Amazing place.
Amy is always GREAT, very professional and she does a great job cleaning my teeth. Highlly recommend Arsthetic Dentistry.